Autumn has arrived and so has mock award blog season! We’re joining the fold and dusting off Medal on My Mind, too. In the coming months leading up to the ALA Youth Media Awards in January 2022, we (Kazia and Alec) will highlight titles that we think ought to be considered for the Stonewall Book Award (or, more officially, the Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children’s & Young Adult Literature Award).
Note: The Stonewall Book Awards are actually three different awards (one for adult fiction, one for adult nonfiction, and one for youth fiction/nonfiction) but we’re using the Stonewall Book Award for shorthand just to refer to the youth award from here on out.
Unlike Newbery, Caldecott or other awards, the Stonewall Book Award doesn’t have pages and pages of extensive criteria. But here is what’s on the award page:
- The awards are presented to “English language books that have exceptional merit relating to the LGBTQIA+ experience.”
- Eligible books must be published January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021.
- Though the award is typically given to books published in the US, international books may be considered.
- Re-printings of previously published books are not considered.
- Substantially changed new editions and/or English translations are considered.
Additionally, we’re using these unofficial criteria to inform our selections:
- 50% or more of the protagonists must be LGBTQIA+ to be considered.
- We’re going to elevate books that add new voices and experiences to the existing canon of award winners.
- We’re going to assume there will be a children’s winner and a YA winner because, given the growth in LGBTQIA+ publishing for youth, we believe there should be.
This year, we’re also doing things a little differently in that the vast majority of our posts are going to be thematic roundups. We might not post every week. We might not have read every title we share. But we’re definitely excited about the Stonewall Book Award and eager to hear your thoughts on the contenders in the comments. Let’s go!
One thought on “Off We Go!”