It’s December, which means that the ALA Youth Media Awards announcement on Monday, January 28 is practically just around the corner. Are you as excited as we are?
According to the CCBC’s Diversity Statistics, 136 children’s and young adult books with queer content were published last year in 2017. Our (less formal) spreadsheet of this year’s titles counts 162—a 26 book increase! Because of the growth in the market, it gets harder and harder to pick the best of the best each year. We think that’s a good thing.
On that note, here is a list of all the books we’ve covered on the blog so far, with links to their individual posts. Which titles are your top choices for the 2019 Stonewall Book Award? What titles are we missing?
If you feel passionate about a title, leave a comment or email us about writing a guest post!
- All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages edited by Saundra Mitchell
- Black Wings Beating by Alex London
- The Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell
- A Church for All by Gayle E. Pitman, illus. Laurie Fournier
- Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
- A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Marlon Bundo & Jill Twiss, illus. EG Keller
- Drum Roll, Please by Lisa Jenn Bigelow
- Harriet Gets Carried Away by Jessie Sima
- Ivy Aberdeen’s Letter to the World by Ashley Herring Blake
- Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts) by L.C. Rosen
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
- Love, Penelope by Joanne Rocklin; illustrated by Lucy Knisley
- Love is Love by Michael Genhart, illus. Ken Min
- Moonstruck, Vol. 1 by Grace Ellis
- Nate Expectations by Tim Federle
- Odd One Out by Nic Stone
- One True Way by Shannon Hitchcock
- Picture Us in the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert
- Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag by Rob Sanders, illus. Steven Salerno
- The Pride Guide: A Guide to Sexual and Social Health for LGBTQ Youth by Jo Langford
- Prince & Knight by Daniel Haack, illus. Stevie Lewis
- A Quick and Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson
- Sewing the Rainbow: The Story of Gilbert Baker and the Rainbow Flag
by Gayle E. Pitman, illus. Holly Clifton-Brown
- Sex Plus: Learning, Loving, and Enjoying Your Body by Laci Green
- The True Adventures of Esther the Wonder Pig by Steve Jenkins, Derek Walter & Caprice Crane, illus. Cori Doerrfeld
- A Winter’s Promise by Christelle Dabos
We’ll be back next week with more posts. Thanks for speculating with us.